You need to look refreshed, but you haven’t slept! This is common. According to the CDC (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention) insufficient sleep is a public health epidemic. Most of us do not sleep enough. We wake up early and we’re up late checking email, making sure things are ready for the next day, dealing with sleepless kids or simply turning to-do lists over in our heads.
The National Sleep Foundation, in an article online, states that most adults require between 7-9 hours of sleep. You can try yoga for insomniacs to get the shuteye you need but, in the meantime, here are a few things you can do to look and feel better in the morning, after you’ve tossed and turned all night. Here are some of my tried and true tips and products that can help:
1. Wash and Exfoliate Wash and exfoliate your face first thing in the morning to help revitalize your skin, get the blood flow going and brighten your skin. Your cheeks will look rosy or at least, less washed out.
A product I like for this is Juice Beauty Exfoliating Cleanser. It’s a soap-free cleanser with exfoliating beads, which also has antioxidants and leaves your skin feeling smooth, but not stripped of oils.
2. Apply Toner to Your Skin There is controversy among beauty experts as to whether the toning step is necessary. To me, applying a toner such as inexpensive witch-hazel or something fancier like Votre Vu A Votre Santé Elixir Essentiel feels good. This mist has essential oils that refresh and moisturize the skin and the scent is invigorating. You can also use it to refresh your face throughout the day.
Read Related: Time Saving Beauty Products for Moms
3. De-Puff Your Eyes Lay down with cucumber slices on your eyelids, like our abuelitas did. Raw potato slices work just as well, and maybe even better. Just make sure you wash them thoroughly before applying.
If you don’t have the time for that more natural treatment, an eye cream gel such as 100% Pure Cucumber Eye Cream Gel will do the trick too. It’s an organic product that not only depuffs but also hydrates the delicate eye area. I like that it comes in a 1 oz. container (most eye creams are available in a 0.5 oz size) and that it’s organic, absorbs fast and smells fresh.
4. Hydrate Your Skin Depending on your budget, you can use a moisturizer such as Eucerin Extra Protective Moisture Lotion with SPF 30, which I’ve resorted to when I had to really watch my money http://latinaverse.com/women-and-money/personal-finance/From-Middle-Class-to-Food-Stamps.aspx, and is a great product for the price.
If you are in a position to splurge, then try Tata Harper´s Rebuilding Moisturizer. All Tata Harper´s products are organic and have more than one active principle that will hydrate and nourish your skin using essential oils.
5. Apply Under-Eye Concealer Concealer is a must-have in the sleepless toiletry bag of a sleepless mujer. I´m a big fan of concealers and lately I’ve been using Bye Bye Under Eye by It Cosmetics . It’s available in three shades. I use the intermediate one that, according to the brand, is the shade most women need. I like that it’s waterproof, provides slightly dewy full coverage, and doesn’t cake in fine wrinkles. You need to use very little—less than half the size of a grain of rice. Apply it with a concealer brush and then blend with your fingers if necessary. You can also use it to hide blemishes and even scars.
6. Use A Highlighter Arbonne´s Sheer Glow Highlighter will give you an instant glow that immediately makes you look more awake. It may be applied on its own or over a tinted moisturizer or foundation. Skin brighteners for tired mamis will help you look and feel revitalized.
7. Apply Makeup There is makeup designed to save you time and money, such as the L´Oreal time saver line. Also try using multi-purpose beauty products during your beauty routine.